Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Toolboxe and bedliner.

We ordered pizza from our new favorite New York style Pizza place in Gainesville, "I love New York Pizza" (although Satchel's still has the best Pizza over all). They don't deliver. I took this as my chance to employ my pickup, which I trust on a short trip like this. 


But first I went to Tractor Supply Company to check out their pickup bed toolboxes, just in case they have a decent offer. I really like the white steel crossover, with single lid or "butterfly" doors. But they only had the "full size" version. According to the catalogue, version that fits my bed would be the same price, around 190 something. I was tempted to buy something, but if it didn't fit, there was no choice. Should I go with the popular steel look for the toolbox? Presently I prefer the cheap white crossover single lid boxes. The steel look may have many advantages, such as scratches getting ignored by the pattern of the metal. 

I am looking into getting the truck bed lined. Tomorrow I plan to go to Alachua, Southern Customs, recommended by George Frazier, our friend and helper when it comes to all animal issues. He had them quote a $300 figure. I drove the opposite direction past the house to get the pizza. On the way I confirmed what i had been suspecting for a while: that my stalling and my stick shifting problems were due to the fact that I let go of the clutch first and too slowly. Now, instead I've been giving gas first, and letting the clutch go a bit more quickly, after some confirmation. Give gas, let go of clutch, instead of clutch/gas at same time. Before that I had been hearing a strange whirring sound attributed to a belt problem, when I don't do this. But let's see.

Regarding the bed liner... Should I go with a professional spray-in (Line-x, Rhino, Herculiner) or do my own (several brands are available, some have two different kinds of coats). Or keep the sides free using only a bed mat? Or just mess up the bed? I don't like the bed being all white and seeing it scratch up over time. I love the idea of it being ready "for anything". Even putting a bedred (a kind of rubber mat) on top of the spray in might be a good idea, so the kids can ride in it comfortably. 

I am really falling prey to country consumerism, accessorizing my pickup, and all, but I have my rationalizations.

No comments:

Post a Comment