Monday, October 13, 2008

First time in the shop

After playing with it for a while, and getting to know its problems, it was time to have the car looked at and fix all the bugs, so I could drive it fearlessly. I asked around, and looked online for various VW places, and there seem to be a few. I got some warnings regarding some, positive reviews on others. The local official VW dealer was warned against by many. I noticed a guy a local store in town who looked like he might be into VW's — I just had a hunch because he looked somewhat "alternative." I was right, and he told me about his experiences in town, then recommended Smitty's Auto Service. He said he's honest, good, and fairly priced. Smitty also had good reviews online. So I went to Smitty and he was very friendly and welcoming, which is important. I gave him a list of what to look into and work on. This was maybe a week and half ago.

Getting there was nerve wracking. The car does not accelerate well at all, doesn't make it past 45 mph, and the breaks seem very loose. I took a break once on the road to make sure it doesn't go nuts on me somehow. 

PIcket up the car today.The work done on it was mostly rear break work. I had to shell out about $800, but I'm not surprised that some work is neccessary. It seems to be running fine but I'll have to do some tests. I know we're not done with it, but I wanted it back for a while, just to get a feel for what had been done.

No comments:

Post a Comment